Is the library open?
New hours at Main, beginning Monday, October 5: Mon 12-6 / Tues 2-8 / Wed 12-6 / Thurs 2-8 / Fri 12-6 / Sat 12-6 / closed Sun. The first hour of each day at the Main Library is reserved for high-risk patrons. We encourage everyone who is not at increased risk to plan their in-person library visits for after the first hour.
New hours at Crown, beginning Monday, October 5: Mon 3-8 / Tues 10-3 / closed Wed & Thurs / Fri 1-6 / Sat 10-3 / Sun 1-6. Please note that the Robert Crown branch will be closed on Tuesday, November 3 since the building will be used as a polling location.
CAMS and the North Branch are closed to the public.
- Sign up for Library eNewsletters for updates.
- To speak directly with library staff call 847-448-8630: Mon 10:30-6 / Tues 9-8 / Wed 10:30-6 / Thurs 9-8 / Fri 10:30-6 / Sat 10:30-6 / Sun 12-6
How do I get books or movies?
With an Evanston Public Library Card…
- The Main Library and Robert Crown library are now open for browsing and checkout. See hours above.
- You can also get eBooks and eAudiobooks, emagazines, and stream Movies and TV. If you want to read or watch on your device, check out these EPL Apps.
- Additionally, you can browse our eNewspapers and other eResources.
What if I don’t have a library card or my library card is expired?
- If you need a library card and live in Evanston, complete this simple eCard Form.
- If you don’t live in Evanston, please contact your home library.
- Institution cards are available for Evanston elementary school educators and Evanston middle and high school educators.
- Your library card will not expire while we are closed. We have automatically extended the expiration dates for all Evanston Public Library cards.
Can I get books or movies from other libraries sent to EPL for me to pick up?
- Yes! EPL cardholders can once again borrow materials from other libraries within our consortium. Materials from other libraries can be placed on hold via the online catalog for pickup at the Main Library or Robert Crown. At this time, the service is only available for Evanston cardholders. We plan to resume this service for reciprocal borrowers sometime in October.
How do I return items? Will I be charged an overdue fee?
- In the book bins outside the downtown Evanston Public Library building (1703 Orrington Ave.), you can return items 24 hours a day.
- Items can also be returned to the Robert Crown Library wall drop box, located inside the Robert Crown Center, during the Center’s open hours: 8:30 AM – 9 PM every day.
- At this time, we are not accepting returns at North or CAMS libraries.
- Evanston Public Library does not charge overdue fines.
To maintain the safe handling of all material, we are quarantining items when returned. You may see items on your account up to two weeks after returning them. Thank you for helping us to manage the workflow as we re-open to offer limited services.
I need to use a computer. How can I do this?
- The downtown Evanston Public Library (1703 Orrington Ave) is open for computer use during these hours: Mon 12-6 / Tues 2-8 / Wed 12-6 / Thurs 2-8 / Fri 12-6 / Sat 12-6 / closed Sun. The first hour of each day at the Main Library is reserved for high-risk patrons. We encourage everyone who is not at increased risk to plan their in-person library visits for after the first hour.
- The Robert Crown library also has computers available Mon 3-8 / Tues 10-3 / closed Wed & Thurs / Fri 1-6 / Sat 10-3 / Sun 1-6
- On a first-come first-serve basis, you can use a computer for up to 1 hour per day.
- Evanston residents with a library card in good standing can borrow a laptop from our Laptop Vending Machine. It is located on the East wall outside of the Robert Crown Branch Library, and within the Robert Crown Community Center.
- Masks are required at all times and will be provided to those who don’t have one.
I need wifi. How can I get this?
- You can reserve a Wifi Hotspot. You will be notified when it is available, and then you can pick it up at the library.
- For free wifi locations in Evanston, check this map or enter your zip code to find a hotspot near you.
- Those who qualify for public assistance (SNAP, free lunch, etc.) can get 60 days of Internet Essentials free from Comcast.
I need tech help. Can someone help me?
- Call 847-448-8630 to get immediate help or to make a 45-minute appointment with one of our 1:1 Tech Trainers.
- You can also sign up for Technology classes.
I have a question. Can I talk to someone at the library?
- Call 847-448-8630 to speak directly with library staff.
- You can also email or chat or use our E-mail Reference Form to send your research questions.
- Hours: Mon 10:30-6 / Tues 9-8 / Wed 10:30-6 / Thurs 9-8 / Fri 10:30-6 / Sat 10:30-6 / Sun 12-6
What library programs are still happening?
- To find virtual programs for all ages, visit the Attend tab on our website or our Events Calendar.
- Sign up for one or all of our Library eNewsletters for event updates.
I used to get help at the library. How do I find these social services?
Visit our Social Service Resources page to find information on how to:
- Talk to our Library Social Worker
- Contact the Certified Healthcare Navigator
- Resolve Housing Issues
- Find Food Pantries and much more
When will Books On Wheels resume?
- Books on Wheels deliveries are suspended until further notice.
- We will announce when we resume this program. Sign up for Library eNewsletters for updates.