Is the library open? FAQ en español
- The library is open for browsing, materials pickup, and computer use for up to 1 hour a day.
- Study tables and meeting rooms are not available at this time.
Hours at Main Library: Mon 12-6 / Tues 2-8 / Wed 12-6 / Thurs 2-8 / Fri 12-6 / Sat 12-6 / closed Sun. The first hour of each day at the Main Library is reserved for high-risk patrons.
Hours at Robert Crown Branch Library: Mon 3-8 / Tues 10-3 / closed Wed & Thurs / Fri 1-6 / Sat 10-3 / Sun 1-6.
- Sign up for Library eNewsletters for updates.
- To speak directly with library staff call 847-448-8630: Mon 10:30-6 / Tues 9-8 / Wed 10:30-6 / Thurs 9-8 / Fri 10:30-6 / Sat 10:30-6 / Sun 12-6
How do I get books or movies?
With an Evanston Public Library Card…
- The Main Library and Robert Crown Branch library are now open for browsing and checkout. See hours above.
- You can also get eBooks and eAudiobooks, emagazines, and stream Movies and TV. If you want to read or watch on your device, check out these EPL Apps.
- Try our free personalized LitMatch service to help you find your next read.
- Additionally, you can browse our eNewspapers and other eResources.
What if I don’t have a library card or my library card is expired?
- If you need a library card and live in Evanston, complete this simple eCard Form or stop by an Evanston Library location with a current picture ID and proof of residency.
- If you don’t live in Evanston, please contact your home library.
- Institution cards are available for Evanston elementary school educators and Evanston middle and high school educators.
- We will extend the expiration date for your Evanston Public Library card if you are unable to come into the library due to Covid-19.
Can I get books or movies from other libraries sent to EPL for me to pick up?
- Yes! Materials from other libraries can be placed on hold via the online catalog for pickup at the Main (Downtown) Library or Robert Crown Branch Library. Non-Evanston cardholders can once again place materials on hold via the online catalog for pickup at the Main (Downtown) Library or Robert Crown Branch Library.
How do I return items? Will I be charged an overdue fee?
- In the book bins outside the downtown Evanston Public Library building (1703 Orrington Ave.), you can return items 24 hours a day.
- Items can also be returned to the Robert Crown Branch Library wall drop box, located inside the Robert Crown Center, during the Center’s open hours: 8:30 AM – 9 PM every day.
- Evanston Public Library does not charge overdue fines.
I need to use a computer. How can I do this?
- The downtown Evanston Public Library (1703 Orrington Ave) is open for computer use during these hours: Mon 12-6 / Tues 2-8 / Wed 12-6 / Thurs 2-8 / Fri 12-6 / Sat 12-6 / closed Sun. The first hour of each day at the Main Library is reserved for high-risk patrons. We encourage everyone who is not at increased risk to plan their in-person library visits for after the first hour.
- The Robert Crown Branch library also has computers available Mon 3-8 / Tues 10-3 / closed Wed & Thurs / Fri 1-6 / Sat 10-3 / Sun 1-6
- On a first-come first-serve basis, you can use a computer for up to 1 hour per day.
- Evanston residents with a library card in good standing can borrow a laptop from our Laptop Vending Machine. It is located on the East wall outside of the Robert Crown Branch Library, and within the Robert Crown Community Center.
- Masks are required at all times and will be provided to those who don’t have one.
I need wifi. How can I get this?
- You can reserve a Wifi Hotspot. You will be notified when it is available, and then you can pick it up at the library.
- For free wifi locations in Evanston, check this map or enter your zip code to find a hotspot near you.
- Those who qualify for public assistance (SNAP, free lunch, etc.) can get 60 days of Internet Essentials free from Comcast.
I need tech help. Can someone help me?
- Call 847-448-8630 to get immediate help or to make a 45-minute appointment with one of our 1:1 Tech Trainers.
- You can also sign up for Technology classes.
I have a question. Can I talk to someone at the library?
- Call 847-448-8630 to speak directly with library staff.
- You can also email or chat or use our E-mail Reference Form to send your research questions.
- Hours: Mon 10:30-6 / Tues 9-8 / Wed 10:30-6 / Thurs 9-8 / Fri 10:30-6 / Sat 10:30-6 / Sun 12-6
What library programs are still happening?
- To find virtual programs for all ages, visit the Attend tab on our website or our Events Calendar.
- Sign up for one or all of our Library eNewsletters for event updates.
I used to get help at the library. How do I find these social services?
Visit our Social Service Resources page to find information on how to:
- Get Financial Assistance with Rent Payments
- Receive Free Tax Help
- Find Food Pantries and much more
Have Books on Wheels deliveries resumed?
- Books on Wheels is operating but in a limited way. Deliveries to individuals are limited to once per month. We currently offer deliveries to the Presbyterian Home on the first and third Wednesdays of the month, and to Three Crowns and the Mather on the second and fourth Wednesdays of the month.
- Email questions about Books on Wheels to firstname.lastname@example.org, or leave a message for the coordinator, Julie Rand, at 847-448-8640 and she will get back to you.
- Check the Library eNewsletter for further information and updates.
I heard about Evanston’s Reparations Program. How do I find out more?
- You can find information about Evanston’s Reparations Program on the City of Evanston’s website: https://www.cityofevanston.org/government/city-council/reparations