The Evanston Public Library is commemorating Pride Month throughout June with programming for all ages that celebrates and explores issues relating to the LGBTQIA+ community, plus an evolving art exhibition at the Main Library.
Pride Unites Us, presented by Evanston Pride, Evanston Made, and the Evanston Public Library will run through June 20 in the third floor gallery space at the Main Library.
LGBTQIA+ artists are invited to submit work related to the theme “Pride Unites Us.” Artists, including poets/writers, can submit up to six ready-to-hang pieces. The deadline to submit work is June 5. Interested artists can find details on how to submit and the online submission form at epl.org/prideunitesus.
The exhibition is just one of the many programs happening throughout Pride Month. Programming highlights include:
- DIY Mini Pride Float Take-home Kit. Stop by and pick up a kit with everything you need to make your own pride float. Bring it back when it’s done and we’ll add it to our Pride Month display! Sunday, June 4, all day, at EPL’s Robert Crown Branch.
- DIY Mini Pride Float Drop-in. Have a snack, listen to music, and make your own mini Pride float, then take your wonderful decoration home or leave them at the library to join our Pride display. Thursday, June 8, 4-6 p.m., at EPL’s Robert Crown Branch.
- Drag Queen Storytime. Join us for a fun-filled family storytime with the fabulous Coco Sho’Nell! Saturday, June 24, 11 a.m.-12 p.m. in the Robert Crown Reading Garden. Register.
- Teen Pride Party. Learn waacking and voguing from a professional dancer, strut your designs in a fashion show, and dance at this night celebrating friends, fabulousness and the freedom to be who you are. Wednesday, June 14, 6-8 p.m., in the Robert Crown Reading Garden. Grades 6-12. Drop in, but registration is preferred.
- Better Off Read Book Group: Smahtguy, The Life and Times of Barney Frank. Read and discuss the graphic novel biography about Barney Frank, one of the first gay and out members of Congress and a frontline defender of civil rights. Tuesday, June 20, 6:30-7:45 p.m. in the Robert Crown Reading Garden. Register.
- Law at the Library: LGBTQIA+ and the Law. Explore legal issues faced by the LGBTQIA+ community. Each Law at the Library program features a presentation by an experienced attorney, followed by a brief question-and-answer session, in partnership with the Chicago Bar Association and the Chicago Public Library. Tuesday, June 27, 6-7 p.m. on Zoom. Register at least 24 hours before the event to get the meeting link.
- Drag Queen Bingo for Families and Teens! Play a fun-filled family-friendly game of BINGO for a change to win fabulous prizes with the equally fabulous Coco Sho’Nell! Saturday, June 24, 3-4:30 p.m., at the Main Library. Register.
For more information on EPL’s Pride Month programming and other programs happening throughout the summer, or to register for an event, visit epl.org.