Evanston Care Network: Find free and low cost services, including childcare, unemployment, job training, food, housing, legal help, and more.
Talk with the social worker at our library
Connect with Tabitha Ledbetter of Ascension Illinois, the full-time social worker at our library. Call or email Tabitha directly to schedule an appointment. Anyone may also meet with Tabitha during walk-in hours on a first come, first serve basis.
- Monday, 2pm-5pm (Teen Loft — teens only)
- Tuesday, 3pm-7pm (Main Library)
- Wednesday, 2pm-6pm (Robert Crown Branch Library)
- Thursday, 10am-1pm (Main Library)
- Friday, 9am-12pm (Main Library)
Tabitha Ledbetter, LCSW (she/her)
Tabitha can help with:
- SNAP & Medicaid applications
- SSI/SSDI applications & recertification
- Locating medical, mental health, & substance abuse treatment
- Housing applications, resources, & referrals to housing organizations
- Food pantry, meal, shelter, shower, & laundry linkage/referral
- Updating a resume, applying for jobs, & referral to workforce development
- Older adult questions related to insurance, housing, & in-home supports
- Domestic Violence/IPV service linkage/referral
- Legal aid, immigration & re-entry linkage/referral
Find free meals & places to rest
Visit Interfaith Action’s website or Connection for the Homeless’ website to find free meals and a hospitality center or call/text the City of Evanston at 847-448-4311. If your need is urgent call the 24/7 Crisis Line at AMITA: 708-681-4357
Get financial assistance with a mortgage or rent
Rental/Mortgage Assistance is available from the City of Evanston. If you have been financially impacted by COVID-19, rent/mortgage assistance may be available. Call Connections for the Homeless Prevention voicemail at 847-475-7070 ext. 134 to learn more.
You can also call the Suburban Cook Call Center at 877-426-6515 for additional assistance.
Apply for SNAP, health care coverage, cash assistance, or Medicare savings program
Apply on ABE’s website or call 800-843-6154 to apply over the phone.
Receive free tax help
Call Ladder Up at 312-588-6900 or check Ladder Up’s website for eligibility and schedule an appointment. Income limits: Available to individuals earning up to $30,000/year and households earning up to $57,000/year.
If you are 65+, the Levy Senior Center (in partnership with AARP Foundation) will offer free tax help during tax season. Call the Levy Center for more details and to make an appointment: 847-448-8250. Income limits: Available to individuals earning up to $35,000/year and households earning up to $55,000/year.
Get assistance with tenant housing issues
Metropolitan Tenants Organization (MTO) is accepting phone calls at their 24-hour hotline number 773-292-4988. They are prioritizing Evanston calls, with a callback time between 24-48 hours.