Find lawyers who offer limited-scope representation/unbundled services. These lawyers allow you to hire them for a specific task. This is less expensive than hiring a lawyer under a traditional, full-service model.
Some examples of limited scope services include:
- Preparing legal paperwork for you;
- Reviewing legal paperwork you prepared on your own;
- Serving court papers on the other party;
- Preparing a defense or a legal argument;
- Drafting a demand letter or response letter;
- Negotiating or reviewing a settlement agreement;
- Coaching you on how to appear in court on your own; and
- Appearing in court for a specific hearing (usually the most complicated or important one) while you appear in court on your own for all other scheduled dates.