Hispanic Heritage Month runs September 15 through October 15, and the Evanston Public Library is celebrating with events and programs both at the library and throughout Evanston – support a small business, go on a scavenger hunt, play games with the family, make crafts for all ages, and so much more at the Library.
Support small businesses
Nearly one in four new businesses in the U.S. is Hispanic/Latinx-owned, according to the Small Business Association, and the number of Hispanic employer businesses are growing at nearly twice the national average. This Hispanic Heritage Month, you can explore and support our Evanston businesses with the Library and get entered for a chance to win.
Stop by either the Robert Crown Branch Library or the Main Library beginning Friday, Sept. 23, and pick up a punch card of local Hispanic/Latinx-owned businesses. Visit their locations and make a purchase or learn some trivia about the business for a punch, then bring it back to the library by Oct. 15. You’ll be entered for a chance to win one of several $25 gift cards to one of the businesses.
Celebrate and learn all month long
Kids can go on a scavenger hunt of their own at both the Main Library and the Robert Crown Branch Library with Finn the Fox, the Robert Crown Branch mascot. Finn and her friend Hada will be traveling around the world – learn about the different countries their adventures take them, and be entered for a chance to win prizes. Stop by the Robert Crown desk or the children’s department at the Main Library to learn more.
While you’re there, check out our 100% Hispanic, 100% American display at the Robert Crown Branch, or grab a bookmark or a papel picado kit to take home with you.
So many ways to celebrate this Hispanic Heritage Month
Hispanic Heritage Month celebrates the histories and cultures of Americans with roots in Spain, Mexico, the Caribbean and Central and South America, and recognizes the contributions Hispanic and Latinx people have made in our communities.
The Evanston Public Library is celebrating throughout the month with a special collection of programming celebrating Latinx culture and supporting the Latinx community locally for all ages, from kid’s crafts to a 21-and-older Make Your Own Michelada evening.
All programs are bilingual (English/Spanish), unless otherwise noted. Here’s what’s happening:
- Hispanic/Latinx Business Month: Beginning Sept. 23. Learn more.
- Finn and Hada’s Around the World Scavenger Hunt: All month long. Learn more.
- Short & Sweet: Borreguita and the Coyote Story and Craft Kit All month long. Details.
- Papel Picado Take-home Kits: Until supplies last. Drop in to get yours.
- Como Hacer…Agua Fresca! Tuesday, Sept. 20, 6-8 p.m. Details.
- Latino Family Game Night (Main Library): Sunday, Sept. 25, 4:30-6 p.m. Details
- YWCA Clases de Manejo de Dineros: lunes, 26 de septiembre, 6-7:30 p.m Regístrese. Solo en español.
- Cómo Hacer…una Michelada Botanera: Saturday, Oct. 1, 6-8 p.m. at Temperance Beer Co. Register.
- Latino Family Game Night (Crown Branch): Sunday, Oct. 2, 4-7 p.m. Details
- Make Your Own Worry Doll Kit: Beginning Oct. 3 until supplies run out. Learn more.
- Family Movie Day: Encanto. Friday, Oct. 9, 2-4 p.m. at Robert Crown. Drop in.
And there’s more! Watch for announcements about even more programs, crafts and more in celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month at epl.org/hispanicheritagemonth. Plus check out the bilingual and Spanish-language programs and services, from cafecitos to computer classes and more, that the Library offers all year long.
For more programs and events offered by the Evanston Public Library, visit www.epl.org/programs.