My name is Virginia Quiñonez, and my partner and I just moved to Evanston this fall. Besides reading, I love hiking, music, and film festivals. I work at the Chicago School of Professional Psychology.
1) The Time in Between by Maria Dueñas (2012)
This is one of my favorite books in recent years. A classic romance and mystery novel with a different kind of heroine.
2) The Year We Left Home by Jean Thompson (2011)
This was a beautiful story about an Iowa family undergoing great transitions not unlike our country.
3) The Far Empty by J. Todd Scott (2016)
A rough, gritty crime novel set in my part of the country. A great book and my favorite mystery of the year.
4) The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri (2013)
I love Ms. Lahiri’s novels. They mix history with personal sagas, family conflicts, and more in beautiful prose.
5) When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanathi (2016)
I can’t begin to express what this book is about. It’s a memoir, a poem, an inspirational book, a prayer about life.